Mention Malta in an international context and – as many of the guests we host at Neu Collective assure us – some of the first things to come to mind are the sun, the sea, and the breathtaking beaches. But, while the image of Malta as the sunny island in the Mediterranean is certainly spot on, there is a lot more to enjoy when you holiday here! Here are five things that we bet you didn’t know about Malta.
1. Foodies can enjoy a stellar dining scene. And when we say stellar, we mean it, as Malta now has its very own Michelin Star restaurants, with a total of 31 eateries making the coveted list this year and five restaurants being awarded the ultimate honour of a Star. What’s more, you can enjoy the most exquisite cuisines from around the world, and if you’re after something more budget-friendly, Malta is genius at cheap, cheerful and tasty.
2. The arts scene is buzzing. Especially if you visit throughout the summer months, you will be guaranteed a host of high-calibre events, some performed under the stars so that you can enjoy the balmy nights. Even throughout the pandemic, artists and cultural organisations have gottent together to ensure a safe, socially-distanced experience to culture vultures. Look out for the Malta International Arts Festival, that takes place at that start of summer and brings together top local and foreign artists.
3. Malta is known for its edgy fashion scene. If you’re into style, get ready to discover the island’s homegrown designers. From big names like Charles & Ron, known for dressing A-list celebs like Jesse J, to smaller, indie labels with a niche following for those with a penchant for the non-mainstream. Shows are organised regularly, with the guest-list usually including the island’s rich and famous for the bigger events.
4. We have one of the most LGBT+ friendly scenes in Europe! A shift in laws and in cultural mores have made Malta super-popular with travellers who are searching for a vibrant queer scene. No wonder The Rainbow Europe Index awarded Malta first place for LGBT+ travel in 2016.
5. Malta will actually give you free money to spend while here! Yup, we’ve missed you all and we can’t wait to get back to making the magic happen, so our government is actually offering up to E200 to tourists who visit Malta this summer. You will find more information about this COVID-19 recovery plan here.
So, book your stay now at 115 The Strand Hotel & Suites and enjoy your holidays!